Common Job Interview Questions for Software Developers
If you are a graduate in software engineering and looking for a job or an experienced software developer looking for a job change, you are going to face some common job interview questions which you should prepare before appearing in job interview. These common job interview questions include OOPS concepts, common database concepts, questions to test your problem solving capabilities and some tricky HR interview questions. I have made a list of interview questions which might help you in your job interview preparation.
A. OOPS Interview Questions
OOPS concepts are almost common in all the programming languages. So, you must prepare basic and advanced questions on OOPS. I have listed down some of the OOPS interview questions which you should know before attending the job interview.
1. What is a class and object?
2. What are different kinds of access modifiers?
3. What are constructors and destructors? What are the various types of constructors and destructors in OOPS?
4. What is Inheritance? What are various types of Inheritance?
5. What is Encapsulation and Abstraction? What is the difference between Encapsulation and Abstraction?
6. What is Polymorphism? What is the difference between Method overloading and method overriding?
7. What is operator overloading? What is the importance of operator overloading?
8. What are abstract classes and abstract methods? What is the difference between abstract methods and virtual methods?
9. What is the difference between abstract class and an interface? What to use when?
10. What is the difference between late binding and early binding?
11. What is the difference between structure and a class?
B. Database Interview Questions
Your database concepts should be sound. You should know the basic concepts of database like Joins, Index, Query Optimization Techniques, Stored Procedures, Triggers, and Cursors etc. As a programmer, it is expected from you that you know all these basics of database. I am listing down some basic job interview questions on database concepts.
1. What are the advantages of DBMS? What is the disadvantage in File Processing System?
2. What are the various kinds of relationships in database?
3. What is the difference between DDL, DML and DCL statements?
4. How will you optimize an SQL query?
5. What is normalization? What are different types of normalization?
6. What are the different kinds of Joins in SQL? How Joins are different from Subquery?
7. What is indexing and what are the different kinds of indexing?
8. What are stored-procedures? And what are the advantages of using them?
9. What is cursor? How cursors are useful?
10. What is database Trigger? What are different types of Triggers? When to use them?
C. HR Interview Questions
You should also prepare some commonly asked HR job interview questions beforehand. I have seen many candidates who clear all the technical rounds but get trapped in HR round. Your HR round should be smooth to crack the interview. I have listed down some of the HR interview questions which you should prepare before appearing in the interview.
1. Tell me about yourself.
2. Why should I hire you?
3. What are your strengths and weaknesses?
4. Why do you want to work at our company?
5. Are you willing to relocate or travel?
6. Why did you resign from your previous job?
7. Tell me something about our company.
8. How much salary do you expect?
9. Where do you see yourself five years from now?
10. Do you have any questions for me?
D. Problem Solving
You might be asked some questions to test your problem solving capabilities. You will be given some situations/conditions/restrictions and you will be judged how you response to those situations. You have to apply your common sense, experience and general knowledge to solve those problems.